Tetrahyfrofuran (THF) is a versatile solvent with numerous industrial applications. There are several sizes to fit any application from 1/2 pints up to three gallons. Included in the shipment is an easy pour nozzle and an applicator bottle with needle to apply product. All sizes ship in metal rigid container and within full DOT compliance.
- Polycarbonanate (Lexane)- THF can be used to chemically bond polycarbonate parts together with minimal set time. The applicator needle is ideal for applying small amounts of this water thin material.
- 3-D Printing- THF can be used to smooth PLA prints and blend layer lines.
- Laboratory Use-THF is used in very large quantities in research institutions worldwide as a solvent for numerous chromatographic techniques such as Gel Phase Chromotogoraphy. It’s broad solvency capabilities are consistently reliable.
- Adhesives- THF solvents are can be used to join rigid plastic pipe and in compounded cements for leather, plastic sheet film extrusions and for molded plastic parts assemblies.
- PVC Cements- THF-PVC formulations meet NSF standards. THF solvent cements can be formulated with additional solvents and inorganic fillers to control set time. THF can also function as a PVC-type cleaner before joint formation
- Reaction Solvent- THF is very stable under very strong basic conditions and is therefore the choice for numerous spcialty syntheses which invlove complex catalysts and Grignard reagents. Also, THF is the preferred solvent for anionic polymerization.
- Misc. Solvent Applications:
- Natural Products
- Industrial Resins
- Polyurethane Coatings
- Printing Inks
Typical Properties- THF is a clear, colorless, low viscosity liquid with an ether-like odor. THF exhibits high volatility and an extremely low freezing point. At 20°C, THF is completely miscible with water (H2O). Due to its tendency to form peroxides during storage, it is inhibited with BHT.
Specific Gravity (20/4°C) 0.866-0.889
Boiling Point (760 TORR) 66°C
Freezing Point -108.5 °C
Flash Point (TCC) -14°C
Color, APHA 20 maxiumum
Suspended Matter Nil
Inhibitor Level 100-400 ppm